Monday 14 September 2009

Daniel Jones interviewed for "Cupcakes & Conversation ..."


Cupcakes & Conversation with Daniel Jones, Soloist, English National Ballet


Photo : Anthony Crickmay

Jones will be performing Hilarion on the opening night of Giselle in Manchester and various other performances, and will be performing Drosselmeyer in The Nutcracker (dates to be announced).

Jones has his own film production company - Soloistmovies.com.

Jones has been quoted in this article about the life of Patrick Swayze, as we hear the desperately sad news of his death.

What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
George, my dog. I take him for a walk, we run around the park and I have time to feel lucky to have a creative life.

Who would you most like to dance with ?
I've been very lucky, and danced with incredible individuals. From experience, I would say it's more fun to dance with people who also want to dance with me.


Daniel Jones - jeté atournee
Photo : Bill Cooper

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
When I'm not performing, I walk the dog, I check my emails, I do some work for Soloist - my video production company, I travel to English National Ballet, I take class, I do the rehearsals, I come home, I walk the dog, I do more work for Soloist, I study, I play my guitar, then I get some sleep.

You can ask six famous people to dinner - who would you invite ?
God, Leonardo Da Vinci, Shakespeare, Serge Diaghilev, Socrates, and George Carlin.

What would surprise people about you ?
I am teetotal.

Who inspired you to dance ?
When I was 4 years old, my 2 year old brother passed away. It was a very traumatic experience and one of the ways I dealt with it was by throwing myself into dancing. I would often imagine my brother (who I believed was my guardian angel) watched me dance. As I've grown older dancing has become a spiritual experience for me as when I work hard and feel at one with movement, I also feel an inner peace.

How would someone else describe you ?
I think someone else would say "Daniel does things Daniel's way."


Photo : Anthony Crickmay

What is your best piece of advice ?
When you reach the top of the mountain, you are at the bottom of the sky.

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
The Chosen One in Sir Kenneth MacMillan's The Rite of Spring. The role was created on Monica Mason, and I was concerned that I would be expected to dance like her. Monica Mason rehearsed me in the role and she was amazing to work with. I felt that she brought out what I had to offer the role and she made me feel confident enough to let myself go completely. Playing the role was an amazing experience that I'm pleased to say I have on video.

What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you ?
My dog, George, ran into the middle of a football field during a game and went to the toilet on the centre spot. I ran off and left my dog but fortunately he came chasing after me and we ran away from the 22 footballers who were staring at us angrily.


Photo : Patrick Baldwin

If you designed your own stage costume, what would you create ?
Something that made me feel confident, comfortable, and unrestricted.

What are you most proud of ?
The moment when a client or an audience see a film I have produced, and they tell me how much they love it.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
Me. My favourite films are documentaries and I'm still alive to make it.

What is your favourite quote ?
I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.


Photo : Patrick Baldwin

What’s on your iPod ?
Many documentaries from around the world, enough music to last me a lifetime, and thousands of photographs.

Do you have a secret skill which no one knows about ?
If I tell you, everyone will know.

36 comments:

  1. I truly adored this interview. The questions were very in-depth, without ever prying; and his answers really made him seem human, as opposed to a dancing machine. What an intelligent soul he is. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoyed the interview. thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a wonderful comment. i also love your blog. I like ballet, and looking forward the the Nutcracker ballet this winter =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful Monday morning sharing. Thank You. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't know much about ballet but the photos are lovely, so I'll be stopping by and learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elise,

    Just wanted to thank you for such a heart-warming comment left on my blog! And to thank you for introducing me to yours. Dance, the artistry of movement, watching the body tell a story--awes me completely. So I'm grateful to have your lovely and inspiring insight in my life now. All Best! xoxo Ama

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very enjoyable. I am finding this to be a really great treat reading about the ballet.
    I know there must be a reason that God sent you to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elise, your blog is wonderful! I'm so glad that you visted mine so that I could discover yours. All the best to you.
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for your lovely comment on my blog.
    Your blog is lovely I have bookmarked you so I can read more.
    Thanks.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great read, from Daniels Very proud little sister x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, what a great post. I so wish I kept up with my dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou for popping across, and saying hello. Its been lovely reading your blog, what a delightful discovery!
    The 5 year old is in her dancing show all this week - she's more a sugar plum fairy than giselle, but she thouroughly loves it & what is better than that?!

    Love Lydia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Just wanted to come over here and say hello! thanks so much for commenting on my blog, I replied over there but wasn't sure if you'd see it!!! xox, dain(ty)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your blog is fabulous, so I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award. Stop by Yahgie blog to see the rules of receiving the award.
    http://yahgie.blogspot.com/2009/09/little-old-me-and-my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore this post.... so interesting and beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I´m so late for thanking you for your visit and sweet comment on my blog.
    I haven´t been in blogland for weeks and just read your comment. I was really into ballet in my younger years. So this blog of yours is a delight. You have a new follower. ;)
    ♥ Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, great interview! =)
    loving your blog, following you now.. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can u give me a link back it may be useful for me..............

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by at ShabbyChic. Love your site, l have two left feet but can appreciate the magic of the dance.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Elise
    Just wanted to say thank you for your comment on my blog, it was really nice. Don't know a lot about ballet but you blog looks fab and really interesting so i'm sure i'm about to learn a lot.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comment on my blog on this rainy morning Elise, it put a smile on my face! I know nothing about ballet but love your blog and the interesting answers that have been given from the various people you have interviewed. Daniel's comment about his dog on the football field had me chuckling away! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your lovely comment Elise. I'm pleased you like my blog!

    What a great interview. I can understand about dance being a spiritual thing for Daniel.

    Last night at yoga one of the ladies asked me if I was/am a dancer - she could tell by the way I moved she said! It's lovely to hear that my dance hasn't disappeared altogether!

    Saskia x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi :)
    Thanks for your comments. I am enjoying your blog, (always wanted to be a ballerina when I was little)

    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks so much for stopping by and for ur kind words!

    great interview and those pics u posted are just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Elise, thought I'd stop by and say Hi and thank you for your very kind comments on my blog. I don't know much about ballet but your interviews seem great and anything with cupcakes has to be good! Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW Elise!!! I sincerely thank you for your wonderful comments. I would have emailed you directly but couldn't find your email address. I wanted to be sure you knew how much I appreciate your taking the time to write to me. Now it's my turn. You have some incredible, amazing pictures here and I will definitely be back to read your reviews and to see more fantastic pics!! Thanks again Elise.
    Lorraine Castellon-Rowe
    www.lorrainerowe.blogspot.com
    Elise has left a new comment on your post "Baby Shower Card":
    Oh WOW, this is a great post & you have the most gorgeous site here. I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....
    Posted by Elise to Lorraine's Stampin' Spot at September 12, 2009 8:27 AM

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for the commenet :D I'm so flattered, I think my blog sucks! haha :) And wow ballet, I would be annihilated! I'm so out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! what a cute interview!You have lovely blog!
    Thanks you for your nice comment on my blog.

    xoxo
    from far away!

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks so much for your lovely comment. I really like your blog too, this interview is fabulous. I really like his answer for why he began to dance, beautiful. I'm a musician, so I totally appreciate blogs that feature the arts :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great read, Thanks so much for stopping by!! I loved your comment thanks so much it means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Elise,
    Thank you for coming my blog and please stop by often.
    You've got great and beautiful pictures here. Will come here often.~~Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an amazing artist he is. Great shots. Thanks again for dropping by Beach Vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow your blog is quite incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This blog is fantastic! I found you because you visited my blog nestnestnest.blogspot.com and left me a lovely comment about this month's topic of how equestrian influences interior design. As a former dancer, I think your blog is informative and beautifully written, researched and photographed. I will put it on my blog for sure so my viewers can check it out....best, tamara

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful interview, and what a wonderful perspective into a ballet dancer's world. I really enjoy how you bring out the personality and enthusiasm in each of your posts! I love the ballet, and this makes me feel so much more in touch.

    Thank you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cafe Fashionista - thank you very much for such a lovely compliment - that is just what I'm aiming for with these interviews so its great to know

    Karm - hope you enjoy The Nutcracker !

    CelticWoman - thank you

    Lola Lynn - welcome and I hope you are gradually hooked on ballet...

    Ama - thank you very much and welcome

    Just Breathe - you are too kind, thank you

    Red Lipstick Style - thank you so much, lovely compliment

    louise - thank you and welcome

    Anon - lovely to hear from you and thank you

    paula - thank you.... adult classes are always an option

    Lydia - lovely to see you here. Nothing wrong with Sugar Plum Fairy - that's one difficult pas de deux ! It may be short but it's deceptively intense

    dainjb - thank you, and welcome

    Petergaye - I am honoured ! Thank you

    Marta - thank you

    Jeanette - welcome and thank you

    putilapase - thank you and welcome

    Rajkumar - sorry I can't find a link to you !

    julie - thank you

    Gemma - thank you and welcome

    Handmade with Love - thank you very much for your kind words

    Saskia - thank you for your comments and I hope you contiue to enjoy yoga - you must have an advantage being a dancer ?

    Chloe - thank you

    Swatantra - I agree

    KIITZYY - thank you

    TopCat - thank you and welcome

    Lorraine Castellon-Rowe - thank you and welcome

    lindah - thank you

    Marina Capano - thank you

    TheMinx - thank you

    Female intuition - thank you

    Anncoo - thank you

    Beach Vintage - thank you so much

    PetSugar - thank you

    tamara matthews-stephenson - thank you very much for such a wonderful compliment - great to hear you enjoy the writing. Welcome !

    Teresa - thank you for your kind words - it's great to hear that my writing is enjoyable and that you can get more of a feel for the dancer's world through it. Welcome !

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.