Friday 25 September 2009

Brian Maloney interviewed for "Cupcakes & conversation ..."


Cupcakes & conversation with Brian Maloney, Soloist, The Royal Ballet



What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
A strong coffee.

Who would you most like to dance with ?
Sylvie Guillem if she was 6 inches shorter or Gelsey Kirkland if she was 30 years younger.

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
The main focus now is getting back in shape after the summer holidays. We are just starting the season so not the normal schedule but I am up at 8 and in the Opera house at 9 to warm up for class at 10:30. We are to beginning rehearsals for Mayerling so I’ll have around three or four hours of that, which will mostly be recapping and learning some new roles. Following that will be some calorie burning running on the Precor machine and a few hours of Pilates and stretching. The fight back to full fitness seems to be a huge struggle!


www.palhansen.com

You can ask six famous people to dinner - who would you invite ?
Barack Obama, Fidel Castro, Mats Ek, Gabriel Yared, Nelson Mandela and Meryl Streep.

What would surprise people about you ?
That I love the ridiculous and love to be reduced to hysterical fits of laughter.

Who inspired you to dance ?
My sister and (Mikhail) Baryshnikov.

How would someone else describe you ?
Steadfast and stubborn.



What is your best piece of advice ?
Find deep belief in yourself and what you are doing.

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
Probably Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet as the steps themselves are very tricky but more importantly it is difficult to achieve the right balance of pathos and comedy.

What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you ?
Quite often on stage things take on an inordinate hilarity precisely because you are not allowed to laugh. When playing “Eros” in “Sylvia” I had to stand as a statue on a raised platform above a fountain for nearly 50 minutes. Trying to stay still is quite a challenge and one performance some of the huntresses came by, stood at the fountain, and commented loudly enough for me to hear on the size and attributes of the fig leaf covering my anatomy. I was powerless to suppress my laughter.

If you designed your own stage costume, what would you create ?
A perfect fitting tunic that allowed complete freedom for the arms.

What are you most proud of ?
My family.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
Paul Newman.


www.palhansen.com

What is your favourite quote ?
‘Never, never, never, never give up’ - Churchill, and ‘All the world steps aside for the man who knows where he’s going’ - my Father.



What’s on your iPod ?
A huge variety from Chopin to Eminem.

Do you have a secret skill which no one knows about ?
I speak French and Russian and play the piano.


www.palhansen.com

14 comments:

  1. A lovely conversation with yet another dancer who values the importance of his family.
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would to be a fly on the wall at his dinner party...interesting guests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Gelsey Kirkland too! I've read her book so many times I'm losing count.

    Brian's favorite quote is a good one too. I'm going to have to start to think like that more often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful quote, fantastic personality, exquisite body and beautiful mind, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing to hear from a male perspective too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great interview! Sounds like a fascinating person. Love the fact he'd invite Castro to his dinner party as well... such an unlikely choice! And interesting he'd have Paul Newman play him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was very entertaining, I enjoyed learning those things about him. Can you imagine standing still for 50 minutes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating interview with a very gifted and handsome young man. Not only is he a talented dancer , he's also a piano player and speaks two additional languages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think he's my male counterpart. Ah ha. Strong coffee is the only thing that gets me going and I'm a WEE bit stubborn. Fab interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a wonderful interview. He looks so dedicated in his photos.

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. his quote is cute! and its from his dad?!! even cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Elise, thank you for stopping by my blog.:-) We share the same love for the ballet. I have wrote a post on Ballet as an inspiration in my work (one of my posts in July), here is http://www.couturemillinery.com/2009_07_01_archive.htmla link . You have a wonderful blog and I am enjoying reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating. I've never read an interview with a dancer. He's an interesting guy.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog.

    ~enc

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adele - yes, I agree

    Catherine - I know what you mean !

    Couture Cookie - yes, me too !

    CelticWoman - thank you Sandi

    daisychain - thank you - it's always a perspective worth considering and I'm glad you are enjoying it

    The Haute-Shopper - thank you

    Just Breathe - nope ! But I have seen that performance many times and they do all manage it - somehow ! It's quite a pose too - not just standing around.

    DUTA - thankyou

    Kristin - You made me laugh ! Thank you

    Heidi - thank you

    NIC-KIA - thank you

    Coutire Millinery Atelier - Good to hear it - welcome !

    enc - Hope you continue to enjoy - thank you

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.