Tuesday 4 August 2009

Hayley Forskitt interviewed on joining The Royal Ballet Company


Cupcakes & conversation with Hayley Forskitt, Artist, The Royal Ballet

Hayley trained at The Royal Ballet School, and joins the Company this Autumn from The Norwegian National Ballet Company.



What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
It's the beginning of a new week, a fresh start, and I remind myself that I am very lucky to have a job that I love & worked so hard for.

Who would you most like to dance with ?
Carlos Acosta is someone who I think has great passion and charisma on stage, and I am sure he is a great partner. He is a dancer I really look up to.

How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
I start with sewing the elastic & ribbons on, then I darn around the edge of the tip of the shoe to get a better platform. With a Stanley knife I even out the sole of the shoe to make it easier to balance in things like adage. Then I stand on the vamp of the shoe to soften it before I try them on. It usually takes about 40 minutes a pair. But if I am watching TV it takes a lot longer.

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
At the moment I have no routine as I am on summer vacation for 11 weeks. But I am looking forward to starting a new routine at The Royal Ballet. I usually start the day with some herbal tea and breakfast listening to some vibrant music. Then I do some Pilates at work to warm up for class. At the end of the day I like to stretch before I leave work and then have some good food and fun with friends. When it comes to work, I am a bit of a routine girl.



You can ask six famous people to dinner - who would you invite ?
Michael Jackson (RIP), Obama, Oprah, Princess Diana, William Forsythe, and Will Smith (for the humour aspect). That would be an interesting dinner!

What would surprise people about you ?
Every penny that I see on the floor, I pick it up and keep it for good luck.

Who inspired you to dance ?
I started dancing when I was four years old with my sister and friends. We had so much fun. But it wasn't until I was at White Lodge that I was old enough to love & understand the art of ballet. My ballet teachers and Darcey Bussell were a huge inspiration to me.

How would someone else describe you ?
Giving, sensitive and hard working.

What is your best piece of advice ?
Live, Love and Learn. Be open to people and experiencing new things.

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
I would have to say 'Limbs Thereom' by William Forsythe. I got to work with the man himself so I was so inspired and learnt so much. It was a challenging piece both technically and stamina wise. I really learnt how to dance with dynamics and with a thought behind every movement. I also was challenged by having a long improvisation solo, which was daunting at first but I began to really enjoy testing myself and playing with emotions and movements. This ballet and 'The second Detail' are the most fun I have ever had on stage.

What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you ?
I can't think of anything funny in particular that has happened to me. But I have shared so many good laughs & funny incidences with friends over the years. Especially after lights out in the dorms at White Lodge.



If you designed your own stage costume, what would you create ?
I would create something very flattering and feminine. Something fitted but easy to move in with a two tone colour, so as you move in the light different colours would reflect out.

What are you most proud of ?
After losing the most important person in my life, I am still managing to continue with life and appreciate what I still have. During this hard time, I have taken a huge step in my career by getting a contract with The Royal Ballet. I am very proud of that.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
ummm.... Maybe Charlize Theron. I really think she is a great actress and so elegant. She also did ballet when she was younger too.

What is your favourite quote ?
Sing as though no one can hear you,
Dance as though no one can see you,
Love as though you have never been hurt before,
Live as if heaven is on earth.

Do you have a secret skill which no-one knows about ?
I pick up lyrics to songs very quickly without even trying.

24 comments:

  1. I love reading these! my mother owned her own studio for years and I was always fascinated by dancers. How fun that you get to sit down with these wonderful performers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I'm off to look around your blog now. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I enjoy reading about their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ballet is such a beautiful art! These pictures are absolutely breathtaking! Thank you, btw, for your sweet comment on my blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such fun interviews-a nice mix of professional and personal questions, and a cool insight into the world of ballet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving your blog! These interviews are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this talk with an artist!
    Aloha-

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elise! Thank you so much for visiting my blog (and leaving a comment)!! Your blog is so cool, it brings back a lot of memories for me...I worked at a dance studio throughout high school and I still steal away to the ballet every now and then (when I can talk my hubby into it). Have a lovely week:)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful woman- inside and out! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I ADORE comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your series of interviews, Elise - aside from the gorgeous cupcakes photo, it's wonderful to have a glimpse of the off-stage lives of these talented and dedicated professionals. {And thanks for dropping by - a nice surprise!}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone and welcome. Thank you for all your lovely comments. I'm really pleased that you are enjoying these interviews - they are a pleasure to do ! Much more is on the way so do please stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Such a beautiful person, Thanks for your sweet comments, Have a great day! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Elise!!!

    Thanks for visiting The Blogger.

    I'm always looking for news related to the theater and the ballet.

    I await you here more often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful pictures, and a beautiful dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Medora - thank you - I agree they are great pictures.

    luishipolito - welcome, and thanks for your comments

    Torie Jayne - welcome and glad you enjoyed the interview

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure Hayley will be a great addition to the company, I'm off to look for her on YouTube right now! :)

    p.s. I actually found your blog through another blog I read, La Petite Peony, but I am a big ballet fan (especially Royal Ballet)so I'm so excited to find a blog dedicated to it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really good interview - I really enjoyed reading about hayley. I'm going to read about the other dancers now, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hayley sounds so brave and strong. I hope she does very well at the Royal and I will watch out for her now that I know something about her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another tip top interview Elise, thank you for all your hard work. I can't wait for the next ones....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab pics ! So cool ! Such a strong lady. All round sparkler

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved your interview Elise - you have a stylish writing style and it's lovely to read

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you everyone for your comments. Hayley has been absolutely charming and I'm delighted you are enjoying the interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hayley sounds lovely - I can't wait to see her dancing at the Opera House

    ReplyDelete
  24. I admire any dancer who loves Forsythe. Fab interview Elise - your writing is perfect

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.