Friday 14 August 2009

Celisa Diuana interviewed for "Cupcakes & conversation..."


Cupcakes & conversation with Celisa Diuana, Artist, The Royal Ballet


Photo : Bob Moore

What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
Everyday gives you new challenges. These challenges give me motivation to start the week every Monday morning.

Who would you most like to dance with ?
Among all male ballet stars, Carlos Acosta is definitely one that I’d love to dance with; he’s such an amazing dancer and person.

How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
After sewing the ribbons and elastics I like to cut the satin off the end of my pointe shoes, then I shave with a Stanley knife and scratch the sole (on the outside of the shoe). It takes me half an hour. If I don’t have the time to do all that to my pointe shoes, I can still dance in them but it doesn’t feel as good!

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
At the moment I’m on holiday. But my daily routine at the Royal Opera House starts at 10.30 with a company class for one hour and 15 minutes. Then rehearsals starts at 12 and go on till 5.30 when I have a performance on that evening then the show starts at 7.30, or 6.30 when I don’t have a performance. So on my break I’d have something to eat at the Opera House canteen, it’s always nice to catch up with some friends that I work with or sometimes I like to go out to get some fresh air.

You can ask six famous people to dinner - who would you invite ?
Johnny Depp, Woody Allen, Lula (Brazilian president), George Balanchine (if he was alive) Sylvie Guillem and HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

What would surprise people about you ?
I love watching cartoons.


Photo : Ryoichi Hirano

Who inspired you to dance ?
I have had many people who have inspired me since very early until now. One of them was Lesley Collier dancing ‘La Fille Mal Gardèe’ on a video lent by a friend from my ballet class in Rio de Janeiro when I was about 11 years old.

How would someone else describe you ?
Well…people say that I’m generous, reserved, kind, fun and good company.

What is your best piece of advice ?
Always do something that you love or if you don’t love what you do try to find ways of loving it!

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
The 3rd shade solo in ‘La Bayadère’. It was the most scary experience that I ever had on stage because after a hard (technically and stamina wise) entrée, I had to do a technically very difficult solo and then the coda. I really enjoyed it after the first show. It was worth taking the challenge.

What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you ?
There are many funny things that have happened to me on stage. One of them was falling off a knee seat on stage during the waltz in Act One in last season’s Swan Lake. I was completely on the floor with legs in the air. I couldn’t stop laughing till the end of the dance.

If you designed your own stage costume, what would you create ?
I love pretty costumes. I’d design something simple but pretty like a classical tutu with pearls and sparkles like diamonds and glitter. Also it needs to be flexible so that it wouldn't restrict my movement.

What are you most proud of ?
My father.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
Audrey Hepburn.

What is your favourite quote ?
You make a better world by making yourself a better person.

Do you have a secret skill which no-one knows about ?
I bake a carrot cake as my specialty; I usually bake it for my friend’s birthdays.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I used to take dancing as a child and I really enjoyed it. I took tap and ballet. Have a wonderful weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very kind comment on my blog. Your blog is so beautiful, it is a work of art. I enjoyed this article very much (and the cupcakes too)! How lucky you are to do this work, something you love so much.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog! I love Audrey Hepburn and ballet costumes as well, I used to take ballet when I was a little girl.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comment :) You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a truly wonderful career, Elise. Ballet is so enchanting. I used to dance, but I went up on point too early and sort of fell to the side. It must be wonderful to see and speak with such talented dancers. Thanks for the comment, I look forward to reading more of your entries.
    -Jules

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for visiting my blog! your comment was very sweet and it made my day (really!).

    your blog is quite wonderful. i always loved the idea of ballet and wanted to take it when i was a child, but didn't get the chance to until high school. and i loved it! i hope to take some more classes again soon.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Celisa !!!! Great interview by the way... have a great day in the sun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed this brilliant interview. What a charming young lady. I will be following her now that I know more about her... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey birthday girl - have a great one. Good interview - well done !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool blog! I loved ballet when I was a kid! I used to dream of being a ballerina... that dream went away a long time ago...
    Thanks for finding my blog, and for your great comment! Hope you'll visit my blog in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful interview, thank you. xv

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the wonderful comment...
    Your blog is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Elisa, for visiting my blog. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! You have a lovely blog here. Ballet is such a beautiful dance, I wish I had learned it when I was younger. Now, I'm afraid it's too late for me. I'll be following you.
    Beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog-I'm still so thrilled that anyone reads it! Your blog is lovely, as well. Don't all little girls grow up wantint to be ballerinas? So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy, Happy Birthday. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. I just went back and read many of your posts- FABULOUS! I'll be back. Have a great evening and rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great interview - it gives some insight into the life of a ballerina. My 17 year old niece is planning a career in ballet. So much dedication is required.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Elise!
    Thank you for the lovely compliments on my blog. You are so sweet! Your blog is great too- the photos of all the ballerinas are beautiful.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful interview. I've always been in awe of dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! It really made my day :) Your site is very inspirational and it makes me really wish I did ballet when my mom offered to get me lessons as a child..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you very much for your kind words on my blog. I am relatively new to blogging and it just amazes me that there is so much talent out there. Your blog is beautiful. I have always admired dancing in many forms - but ballet is an art form. Love the cupcake photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I am always in awe of ballet dancers. The effortless grace captured in the pictures is enchanting. And the interview was very interesting. I used to dance myself, but never ballet, just tap, jazz and hip hop. I'm so jealous.

    And thank you so much for stopping by my blog & saying such lovely things. I'm glad you like the posts and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's nice to see how far this wonderful lady has gone... I'm very proud of her! I danced with Celisa when we were children and adolescents. We all knew that she was a star already since then! As she said, she's always been kind, reserved and talented! All the best Celisa.
    Giselle from EEDMO

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely interview. I was particularly interested to hear what most tested her and to see her reaction to falling off a seat on stage. Real insights into the life of a dancer!

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.