Thursday 9 July 2009

Chantelle Gotobed interviewed for "Cupcakes & Conversation with ..."


Cupcakes & Conversation with Chantelle Gotobed, Dancer, Ballet Black

Ballet Black can be seen in the Summer Collection NEW LINES IN DANCE 2009 (Programme B) at the Royal Opera House, on Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th July at 7pm.


Chantelle Gotobed and Hugo Cortes in "Kinderszenen" by Antonia Franceschi
Photo : Bill Cooper

What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
That each day is a new day and that you never know what exciting things are around the corner!

Who would you most like to dance with ?
Carlos Acosta, his life story is amazing. Such a humble person and an incredible dancer!

How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
Firstly I sew on the ribbons and two sets of elastic on each shoe to keep it secure. Then I cut the satin off the tip of the shoe. I squeeze the pointe shoes and take out a part of the insole. My pointe shoes don't usually last very long and especially during performance time I often find a lot of my spare time is spent sewing shoes!

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
I wake up at around 7.30am every morning. I have breakfast, check emails and make my way on the tube to work. There I do my personal warm up which includes stretching and some Pilates! Class starts at 10am and the day usually finishes around 5.30pm, though on performance days we start later in the day, usually around 2.30pm. Dinner time is mostly around 7.30pm and then the rest of the evening is spent relaxing at home with friends or my boyfriend.

You can ask six famous people to dinner, who would you invite?
Katherine Jenkins, Michelle Obama, Richard Branson, Halle Berry, Prince Charles, Tamara Rojo.

What would surprise people about you ?
I am allergic to cats!

Who inspired you to dance ?
My mum, she achieved her dreams in her life and encouraged and supported me to go for mine!

How would someone else describe you ?
Hmmm, from what I know my friends describe me as someone who is patient, caring, kind and someone who likes to live life to the full!

What is your best piece of advice ?
Take each day at a time!


Chantelle in Raymond Chai's "Taniec" in 2007
Photo : Bill Cooper

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
"Taniec" choreographed for Ballet Black by our Chief Ballet Master, Raymond Chai. It's a pas de trios made for one woman and two men. I learnt so much from this piece. It increased my stamina and taught me a lot more about partnering. The choreographer Antonia Franceschi made a piece for our recent Linbury season, "Kinderszenen", which was also a great ballet to dance. I gained so much knowledge from her not only about technique but also about the smaller details which are needed to create a role in dance.

If you designed your own stage costume, what would you create ?
My costume would be a light, flowy dress, which flatters the body shape yet comfortable to dance in. It would be simple, but with a little detail on the bodice.

What are you most proud of ?
My sister, who is going off to Birmingham conservatory to start her 4 year degree in music and of my cousin who is currently performing as an opera singer in Glyndebourne.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
That's a tricky question, I think it would be Halle Berry, such a strong woman and a brilliant actress.



What is your favourite quote ?
Life is a teacher!

Do you have a secret skill which no-one knows about ?
I am very good at impressions though I am sure my friends would say otherwise!

9 comments:

  1. what brilliant photographs. I also really enjoyed reading about Chantelle as I don't know much about Ballet Black and will try to see them now

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely agree with Chantelle's dinner guests. Who's cooking I wonder ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. great interview, really liked the questions and Chantelles answers were funny and interesting too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your lovely comments. This was a very interesting interview and I agree, the pictures are great.

    I hope you'll keep tuned for more interviews in the series .... your support is much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  5. with this interview and the one with Sarah, you are really covering a broad depth of dance - it's great to read and well done for being a particularly insightful journalist. i think the dancers enjoy your interviews and that speaks volumes about your skill

    ReplyDelete
  6. what fabulous pictures. very interesting interview, will go and read the others now !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to the Anon's. I thought these pictures were exceptional - apart from the dancers they are very imaginatively lit - something that is not easy to get right !

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW this is a fantastic interview and those pictures - what a dancer ! loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your interviews but if I had to pick one - it would be this one ! Thank you - your interviews are so refreshing and new, which makes them gripping to read and such a treat

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.