Thursday 29 April 2010

Vicki Paterson interviewed for 'Cupcakes & Conversation'


Cupcakes & Conversation with Vicki Paterson, Corp de ballet, The Estonian National Ballet

Photograph :  Patrick Baldwin

What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
I get Monday's off, so I don’t think I have seen 8 am on a Monday morning for a while.

What are you looking forward to dancing in 2010 ?
We have just finished staging Coppelia which is so much fun. Also next season we are doing Manon which is going to be just amazing!

Who would you most like to dance with & what would you dance ?
I would enjoy dancing with anyone who enjoyed dancing with me too. I would love to dance The Nutcracker Pas De deux as I it was the first ballet I ever saw and it is still my favourite Ballet.

How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
I darn the toe and tear the satin away from the toe, this just makes them last a little longer and then just jump around on them for a while to soften the sides.

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
I don’t really have a routine; I like everyday to be a different day.

You can ask six famous people to dinner - who would you invite ?
Whitney Houston of course! Julia Roberts, Zac Efron, Adam Brody, Tyra Banks and to be fair Eva Longoria for my boyfriend to talk too…

Photograph :  Patrick Baldwin

What would surprise people about you ?
That I am actually a really sensitive person even although might not come across as one.

What is your best piece of advice ?
“ What’s for you won’t go by you.” Something my mum would always say to me.

How do you prepare in the hours before a show ?
I like to get to the theatre really early so I can take time on my makeup and also so there is not a mad rush to get hair done. Then I sit in my changing room and have a good chat with the girls who share with me, I have a coffee, then I go to stage and get warmed up and prepared.

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
We staged a new piece this year is called Symphony no 2. It is a neo-classical piece. The rehearsals were tedious but it was worth it just to get on stage and perform it. I have never really had the chance to perform a neo-classical piece, I have always done purely classical but I really loved learning this piece, it was a great experience.

What do you look for in a dance partner ?
Definitely good communication skills and someone that is willing to compromise

What is your favourite quote ?
“The past his history, The future is a mystery, but today is a gift that’s why we call it the present.”


Do you have a ‘signature step’ – one that comes naturally to you ?
I would say pirouettes come most naturally to me, I was forever getting told when I was younger to stop spinning around in ballet class. But I guess it helped!

A phrase I use far too often is ... ?
I say, ‘Oh my god’ all the time for no reason! I also say ‘literally ‘far too much.

What’s been your best on-stage moment so far ?
The last performance of Swan Lake this season. It was an incredible feeling.

Do you have a secret skill which no-one knows about ?
I am really good at athletics and used to be a runner before I went to dance school

In terms of your ballet career, where would you like to be in a year from now ?
Maybe somewhere a little hotter.

Photograph :  Patrick Baldwin

5 comments:

  1. Great interview! I love when you ask them how they prepare for a show.

    Maybe I should stop telling my kids to stop spinning around so much. Looks like it did pay off for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one!

    By the way, the cupcake looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a gift to live in the present and to dance. I enjoyed my dancing days and I can honestly say, that anyone who has danced, and enjoyed the rigor of dance - knows that it is a gift to live, to dance, in that moment.

    I danced all the time around my family as a child, and now my daughter is dancing, spinning, leaping, and twirling. History repeats itself.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing Branflake - I agree !

    Sashindoubutsu - thanks !

    pve design - yes, to be able to anything so well that you live literally in the present and forget even who you are for a moment - that really is a gift and if you perform, then it becomes a gift you give to others.

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.