Monday 9 November 2009

Callie Roberts interviewed for "Cupcakes & Conversation ..."



Cupcakes & conversation with Callie Roberts, Artist, Birmingham Royal Ballet

Birmingham Royal Ballet are performing a triple bill, Quantum Leaps, and Cyrano, at Sadlers Wells, London, from tomorrow night.




Photo :  Andy Ross

What motivates you at 8am on a Monday morning ?
I’d love to say that I bounce out of bed at 8.00 am on a Monday morning, but the sad truth is that I have to drag myself out of bed. I’m not a morning person so I do find it hard waking up, but once I’ve had my breakfast and got myself warmed up at work I’m ready for the day and week ahead.

What are you looking forward to dancing this season ?
I’m really enjoying the triple bill we are performing at the moment. E=mc² is a lot of fun and quite challenging. I’m also looking forward to Nutcracker which is always fun to do, and the ‘on their toes’ triple bill.

Who would you most like to dance with ?
All the way through the Royal Ballet Upper School, I was partnered with Sergei Polunin and I always loved dancing with him. He is now a First Soloist with the Royal Ballet. I think it would be fantastic if we could dance together again one day.

How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
I take the heel pin out and bend the shoe a little and then Shellac them twice before I use them. If they start to get too soft in the toe, I use Jet glue and it seems to do the trick.

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
I wake up, have breakfast, walk to work, do a mat class with Jenny Bintley, do class, do some exercises in the pool, have lunch, get ready for the matinee show, perform, shower, dinner, power nap, warm-up, get ready for the evening show, perform, shower, home, sleep.

You can ask six famous people to dinner - who would you invite ?
Jamie Oliver – so he can cook some yummy food
Billy Connolly – for laughs
David Attenborough – interesting stories
Audrey Hepburn – style tips
Michael Jackson – entertainment
(That sounds like one heck of an interesting dinner party!)

What would surprise people about you ?
I can’t ride a bike.

Who inspired you to dance ?
My sister.

How would someone else describe you ?
Laid back, caring and up for a good time.

What is your best piece of advice ?
You only live once so enjoy yourself.

Which role has tested you the most & how ?
The lead role in Concerto Barocco. I was also in the corps de ballet and didn’t have much time to learn the principal part; I performed it after only two rehearsals. I loved it though.

What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you ?
When BRB were on tour in Japan, I danced the Spanish Doll in Coppélia. I had to bourrée back to the chair and sit on it. In one of the performances, I missed the chair completely and fell flat on the floor.

Who would play you in the film of your life ?
Maybe Cate Blanchett.

A phrase I use far too often is ... ?
I’m known for being a bit over-enthusiastic! I’m always saying that was the most ‘amazing’ place I’ve ever been to or that was the ‘best’ restaurant ever.

What’s been your best on-stage moment so far ?
I absolutely loved performing Serenade when I was in the second year the RBS. I performed the part of the ‘waltz girl’.

Do you have a secret skill which no-one knows about ?
I like to think of myself as being quite a good cook and I can make my own jewellery.


8 comments:

  1. talented ballerina as always.. i never get bored reading the famous people to dine part :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing...amazing!

    X♥X♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting as always :-) xxx Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly beautiful blog - its enchanting!!

    Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a treat!~ Hope you can join us tomorrow at The Plumed Pen blog for TUESDAY TEA FOR TWO!.., Also thanks for all of your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These little insights are a great read - thank you Elise. Would love to see Cyrano at Sadlers Wells!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. She seems so charming...I loved this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. noomiedoodlesfashion - lovely to hear, thank you

    janettaylor - thank you

    Nefertari - thank you

    Julia - very kind of you to say so, thank you

    silk purse - loved the tea, thanks for your comment !

    Cottage Garden - thank you - glad to hear you like them

    Hanako66 - thank you !

    ReplyDelete

If you've got this far and would like to leave a comment, well, YES YOU CAN.

I'd be delighted to hear from you & will respond when I can (I'm not glued to my computer so please be patient).

Please don't post spam, and constructive critique is the way to go if you want to post a comment which is anything less than nice ! Thanks.